Tuesday, January 20, 2009

AFRO XXIII, watercolour/charcoal, 10" x 8", 2009

This is number 23 in my present AFRO SERIES. I haven't included any other masculine face in my Afro series apart from AFRO X - where I featured myself, the way I looked when I was younger and used to have my mum treat me to an Afro blow and a 90 degrees part in my hair.




But I am including the second male face in this series that celebrates the beauty of black natural hair. I met this guy at Nandos last year when I went for a send-off meal for one of my friends, she was moving over to America. I approached him and he agreed to join this project.

The face of a black male today makes a bit of history too as Barack Obama becomes the First American Black President!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the composition and the moody feel of this piece.

adebanji said...

Thanks once again Sheila!

dominique eichi said...

The dark and light in this piece are strong and powerful so befitting a male model. Nice addition to black hair series.

adebanji said...

Thanks Dominique!