Friday, April 13, 2012

The Story Behind 40 works that changed my career 11

Number 11- Summerlight Clapham Common





In Summer of 2009 an advert came out in The Artist magazine for an oil painting to be submitted no larger than 36" x 24" for a winning place in ROI exhibition of that year and for a mini profile in the November Issue of The Artist Magazine. I gave it a go and I really thank God, I won!


Summerlight Clapham Common, Oil on Canvas, 24" x 18", 2009

This painting took me almost a week working on the figures from left to right, making sure each section was finished as I worked mainly focusing on the shapes, drawing and values. My mission was to make sure the figures retained a glowing play of summerlight on them and also that the whole piece showed a vibrant, lively, sketchy feel of the excitement and childlike drama that scenes like this invoke on our memories of childhood and those great times.

Below are pictures of the set up and how it looked when I was half way through.



The set up with the photo references, palette and all that




Half way through progress


This work didn't sell in the ROI exhibition but sold by Enid Lawson Gallery at the Affordable Art Fair in 2010 at Battersea. The Lady who bought it said it reminded her of times she used to take her children out to splash parks. It's always great to find out why people buy paintings!

SPECIAL QUOTE
"Because a painting didn't sell in one exhibition, is no reason why it won't sell in another....the right buyer sometimes wasn't in the one where it didn't sell. It sounds quite straight forward but how many times have we given up as artists on a work and hid it behind in the dark stacks because it didn't sell...But another secret maybe the Framing and where it was positioned!"-Adebanji Alade

6 comments:

Vinayak Deshmukh said...

Hearty Congratulations! Thanks for the helpful tip also. Best wishes,

adebanji said...

Thanks Vinayak!

Unknown said...

This is my favourite story yet! Your message of 'never give up' is inspirational! Sometimes we enter a piece in an exhibition or competition and it doesn't get in and we can assume therefore it's not good enough, but actually it may be just right for a different show!

adebanji said...

Haidee-Jo-wow! I am glad you got the message because, many of us haven't and it has happened to me time and time again! So let's go! "never say die"

pauladrianalcock@gmail.com said...

I really like this one. It's the sort of subject I like to paint myself. Its got a lovely feel to it and I really like the way you've handled the paint and colours. I remember entering that competition myself and getting no where but your right we just have to keep going. Thanks for the inspiring blog and putting all these images up there. It's been interesting to see how your career has evolved so far.

adebanji said...

Thanks Paul, your comments are highly appreciated!